Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Chewy Granola Bars

Hi everyone!

I hope you all are having a good day. It's another rainy one here, which is good because we desperately need the rain. John and I went out earlier (which means I got to wear my rain boots for the first time out!) and I got stocked up on treats for some friends, that I'll be mailing out this week. I also got a crazy amount of storage containers. I'm determined to get things organized...(it's taken me two shopping trips to get everything I need! Craziness!) I'll update you on that later. So on to the granola bar goodness.

My husband and I love granola bars. It's often one of those extra grabs at the grocery store. So I started thinking and wondered what it would be like to make some myself?! I found a great recipe in Gooseberry Patch's All Through the Seasons' cookbook.


Here's what you will need:

1/2 c. margarine, softened
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. honey
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 egg
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. quick cooking oats
1 1/4 c. puffed rice cereal
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. raisins
1 c. chocolate chips

Cream margarine, sugars, honey, vanilla, and egg, mixing well. Combine all dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 13X9X2 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 28 minutes. Let cool, cut into bars. You can sub. peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips for the chocolate if you like. Makes 16 bars.

These turned out really great. They were a little messier than I hoped for, but they were perfect to pack with John's meals for work. John is ready for me to make more and I look forward to making them. It was a simple and delicious recipe. :)

Stay tuned next week I will be sharing an experimental soup I made yesterday. ;) I'm hoping Cami will be returning with her Tasty Tuesday posts as well. ;)

<3 Anna

2 comments:

  1. Yummy-- these sound great-- and gluten free- yippee for me!! (Thanks also Anna for your comments)and can we see a picture of your cute rainboots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked granola bars too, but am nowhere near ambitious enough to make my own! Good job! In the meantime, I think I'll take a trip to my local grocery to buy some more :)

    ReplyDelete

Be a dear and leave a comment.

They make me smile!