I was contacted by Catholic Family Gifts to choose one of their products to review and host an awesome giveaway! :)
I chose A Hobbit Devotional by Ed Strauss. This book contains 60 short devotions, that each begin with a quote from a chapter of The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien. I was very excited about getting this book because my husband is a big fan and he is turning me into one as well. (I've seen the movies and am now reading The Hobbit.)
Ed Strauss' devotions are very descriptive and well written. They are thought provoking as well as meticulous in nature. He connects scripture and The Hobbit together well, very well researched.
Here's an example from the book:
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...It was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort." - The Hobbit, Chapter One
Mr. Strauss uses this quote from The Hobbit to write a thoughtful devotion on getting out of our comfort zones and looking past our own backyards. He is able to relate this back to scripture by quoting Philippians 2:4. He talks about hobbits and how they enjoy the comforts in life but were rather ignorant to what was going on in the outside world. Bilbo learns quite a lot at the end of his journey. This can relate to Christianity as a whole in that we must remember the outside world. We must remember those around us and not get bogged down with the details in our own lives, so much so that we forget.
The only flaw I see in this book is that some of the devotions seem to stretch a bit, trying to relate things to scripture even in the smallest of areas.
This would be a matter of my own opinion and honestly this is such a minor flaw that it really doesn't change my view of the book. Overall, I would give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. ;)
So would you like a chance to win a copy of this awesome devotional?! I thought so!
Here's how to enter:
1) You must be a follower of my blog or (I know that you are a regular reader.) (This equals 1 entry.)
2) You leave a comment stating what product other than this devotional you would be interested in from Catholic Family Gifts. (Click the link above.) ( 2 entries.)
3) Refer a friend to my blog. You must have the friend tell me that you referred them for this to count. (3 entries.)
4) Share a link to my blog on facebook or another social media outlet. (Leave a comment with the link below.) (2 entries.)
5) Like my Facebook Page. (2 entries)
6) Like Catholic Family Gifts on Facebook. (2 entries)
7) Follow Catholic Family Gifts on Twitter. (2 entries)
8) Follow Catholic Family Gifts on Pinterest. (2 entries)
9) Subscribe to Catholic Family Gifts on Youtube. (2 entries)
10) Join Catholic Family Gifts on Google Plus. (2 entries)
Easy peasy right?! Good luck!!!
***Deadline for entries is February 13, 11pm.***
***I will choose a luck winner on February 14, Valentines Day.*** How sweet?! ;)