Thursday, October 13, 2011

21 Day Organizing Challenge: Days 1 and 2

Hey everyone,

I promised an update on my progress with the 21 day challenge and here it is. :) I've decided I'll update you guys every Thursday. So look for lemony fresh posts once a week. ;)


Day 1 Junk Drawer(s) Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I think junk drawers are everyone's private shame. I think every home has one and everyone wants to avoid peeking in that drawer, for fear of getting sucked into the chaos. I think this drawer is also created because even though most of us try to have a place for everything, we don't. I'm sure those of you who live in an apartment, duplex, or smaller home can especially relate. One of the main reasons I started this challenge besides the fact that I wanted to get organized, is that we have too much stuff and not enough space!

I started with my baker's rack, which has a drawer that has become very junky! This picture is embarrassing. (hides face)

Before:


It's hard to believe how bad it had gotten! I started out taking everything out of the drawer and sitting it in a basket. I then used some all-purpose cleaning spray (I dilute mine a little with water, and it lasts longer) and wiped the drawer out. Then I got to do the fun part, organizing! (At the beginning of the challenge, we were told to keep a trash can handy and a box for stuff to donate. I got to work sifting through all the junk, most of it went to the trash. It's crazy how we accumulate things!) I then took out my slim containers, I purchased from the Dollar tree and got to work organizing the things that were left. I'm happy to say this story does have a good ending, check out the after shot!

After:


Look at the difference! I am so proud! ;)

I also tackled the junk drawer in our kitchen. I forgot to get a before picture here. :/


As you can see, I also used the same system here, as well as style container. If you have bionic eyes, please excuse the messy floor---it's been raining here and our dog is great at tracking stuff in.

Day 2 Computer Desk(s) (just the top) Thursday, October 13, 2011

I wasn't particularly enthused about this one. Since we have a laptop and are never in there and the guest bedroom is currently a tornado, I really, really didn't want to go back there. I sucked it up and did it anyway! It was pretty humorous to see that John's Chic-fil-a calendar was still on August. I used the same system as above. The results are not as exciting, but I'm happy to have two cleaned and organized work stations. I hope that wherever we end up next, we will actually use our spare room!

Before:


As you can see it is rather dusty, but not too cluttered.

After:


Lemony fresh and neat!

Our second work station

Before:


It was a bit more cluttered than the computer desk and quite dusty!

After:


I was happy to make better use of the organizer in the lamp and to get rid of the dust bunnies! *sneeze*

So that is it for this week! Until next time!

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." – William Morris (British craftsman, designer and poet, 1834-1896)

<3 Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be a dear and leave a comment.

They make me smile!